Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 22:42:34 +0000
From: "neil barnes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] "Hardware" hibernation in L110

>Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 19:57:19 +0000
>From: "Matthew Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: [LIB] "Hardware" hibernation in L110
>
>>From: "Gennadiy Tsygan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>
>>Deleting cookies or temp files will not give you Blue screen. The worst
>>effect of loosing cookies will be that web sites remembering you login and
>>preferences will forget them until you login manually next time. I had the
>>Blue screen because Windows page file was damaged by hibernation. Deleting
>>cookies will not save any significant amount of space anyway.
>
>> > From: "neil barnes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> > The critical thing being though (I suspect) that you were > stomping
>>them when the system was running, rather than pausing it > mid-operation,
>>stomping them, and completing the operation.
>
>Neil,
>
>I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say, "..stomping them when the
>system was running, rather than pausing it mid-operation..."
>
>I've deleted cookies many many times during a Windows session by just
>clicking in the Windows Explorer frame with the list of cookies, doing a
>CTRL-A to select-all, and SHIFT-DEL to delete permanently.
>
>But what do you mean by.  "..rather than pausing it mid-operation..."?  You
>obviously have something nefarious up your sleeve in Gatesian terms. Just
>what are you intending to pause mid-operation?
>
>Matt

See the earlier reply - the proposal is to share a filesystem with cookies
and temp files on it and the hibernation partition. file system accesses
should be atomic (i.e. they start, complete, and stop and nothing happens to
the structure of the filesystem while they do it) but the hibernation can
interrupt the process between (say) a read and a write, or between a write
and a FAT update. Or, the data that the FAT points to *after* the
hibernation is not the same as was there before. This is generally a Bad
Thing[tm]