Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 20:46:52 +0000
From: "Matthew Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] 2GB Toshiba PCMCIA Card Hard Drive $12.xx after rebate!

>From: "Tom Stangl, VFAQman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>Drat, here's what I got about an hour after placing my order:
>----------
>Thank you for placing your order with Gateway Accessories Store.
>
>The following item from your order is currently on backorder.  While we
>cannot deliver the item as quickly as anticipated, we expect to deliver
>within 30 days. For your convenience, we will alert you by email as soon as
>additional information is available.
>----------
>
>Now I'm going to have to figure out if I cancel the order.  If they send a
>receipt dated the day it ships, it will most likely be outside of the
>rebate period.

Okay... I just spoke to people at Gateway twice on the phone.  I'm still not
clear on everything, and am waiting until Aurora comes back from break to
iron out wrinkles.

But here's what I've found out, prioritized from top to bottom in my mind:

1. The Gateway order can be cancelled before they send you notification via
email confirming shipment.  BUT (this is why I have to talk to Aurora),
THERE’S NO GAURANTEE THAT YOUR CANCELLATION WILL BE PROCCESSED.  It has
something to do with whether or not Gateway had sent a notice to their
supplier to request a mass order for the back ordered unit, or if your they
just sent you’re order to their supplier for the back ordered unit.

2. The order must be made on or before Aug. 15th.

3. Within an hour or so of placing an order, Gateway sends a receipt that
can be printed out and submitted with the rebate coupon

4. The rebate coupon, receipt, and serial/part# info from package must be
postmarked on or before Sept. 15th 2002.  If you haven’t received
notification of shipment by Sept. 2nd or 3rd, you may want to cancel the
order.  Again, more info on cancellation coming.

5. Toshiba must receive the rebate documentation at their rebate center in
New Rochelle, NY by (on or before?) Sept. 30th.

6. I was told a second sales receipt would be sent either as part of the
email notification of shipment, or as a separate email at that time.
Another Gateway person said the receipt is only sent once when the order is
received.

7. As of about 4:00PM EDT, Gateway had 80 orders for this 2GB Toshiba backup
drive.  10 of those were orders for more than $1000.

More later.

Matt(Shel)

Gee... is this a new kind of WorldCom/Tyco/Enron/Global-Crossing styled
shuffle?   ;-p