Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 22:36:45 +0000
From: "Matthew Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] 2GB Toshiba PCMCIA Card Hard Drive $12.xx after rebate!

Man... my head is spinning.  As you guys have probably deduced by now, I’m
not that good at processing masses of information quickly, and end up
beating my head against the wall for a few days until things sink in.

I suggest someone else call Gateway at 877-285-6043 and see if they can
absorb and digest the whole deal about what happens if an order is put in on
this drive, and then it’s put on backorder.  And... just what the deal is
with cancellation of the order.  The cancellations aren’t guaranteed, as
Gateway waits a while to confirm that their supplier can’t in fact supply
enough of the units to fill all the orders.

I got Crystal (of only 4 people there, including Carla and Aurora) at
Gateway who has been going over and over all this with customers all day.
She said that within 3-5 days, a notice will be sent back to a customer
about their order telling them whether or not the item had to be put on
backorder.  But it seems Tom got such a notice within an hour or so.

She said that when their warehouse runs out of an item, Gateway has to send
a backorder request to their supplier.  Then they have to wait for the
reply, in which the supplier confirms whether or not the item can be shipped
to Gateway within 30 days.  Gateway then sends the customer email notifying
them that they’ve received that information from their supplier, and that
the item is expected to be shipped within 30 days.

But she said that Gateway has been out of stock on these drives since the
1st of August, and that they sent a request to their supplier to supply the
number of drives they had received orders for at that point.  It’s the 10th
now, and they haven’t heard back from the supplier yet.

Also, this offer was first made by Gateway on July 15th!  Probably why they
ran out of stock by Aug. 1st.

I ended up going in circles with Crystal about just what the scenario might
be if I ordered today.  Would the request Gateway put in on the 1st cover my
order, or would Gateway have to put in another request to their supplier for
recent orders.

Since the supplier hasn’t written back, Gateway has no way of knowing at
this point how many of the existing orders they can fill.  I’m assuming that
they probably will wait for that information to see if they need to place a
2nd order.  So I guess it’s very possible that orders made now, may have to
wait for a reply for a 2nd request by Gateway to the supplier.  Again, a
reply to such a request by Gateway is SUPPOSED to come back from the
supplier in 3-5 days.  The supplier's reply will say either they're out of
stock, or saying they’ll ship to Gateway within 30 days.

So say this coming Monday Gateway receives a reply to the order they placed
to the supplier on the 1st indicating that X units will be shipped within 30
days.  If X units is not enough to fill orders placed between the 1st and
Monday the 12th, Gateway will have to send a request for more units.  But
say the supplier doesn’t reply for another 10-12 days.  That’d be the 22nd
or 24th of this month at the longest.  30 days from Aug 24th is well after
the deadline on the 15th of Sept. for the rebate to be postmarked.

Then where does the cancellation process come in, and just how does it work
if it isn’t instant, and they have to spend a few days to process it?
Gateway probably waits until they hear from the supplier in order to cancel
the order, unless they have heard back from their last request to the
supplier

The phones at the Gateway Shop are supposed to be open until 6PM PST
according to their website, but I’m wondering if that should be PDT.  If I
have the energy, maybe I’ll give them another call.  But it’d be great if
someone else who can absorb and process a lot of convoluted parameters
quickly and efficiently [obviously not me :-0] could give this a try.

Phew!

Matt