Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 08:19:06 +0000
From: barnacle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] My Libretto 50CT cannot charge up!!!

On Saturday 02 Nov 2002 8:14 am, you wrote:
> Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 16:07:36 +0800 (CST)
> From: =?big5?q?tradelink=20tradelink?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [LIB] My Libretto 50CT cannot charge up!!!
>
>  --- barnacle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ªº¶l¥ó¤º>
>
> > Once you've done that, strip the beastie down to the
> > motherboard.
> > You're looking for the fuse (IIRC) very close to the
> > battery
> > connector - as described above - and powered off,
> > you should be
> > able to test it with a multimeter.
> >
> > If it is blown, break a glass fuse to extract the
> > wire and solder
> > over the ends.
>
> Neil,
>
> I have already disassembled my 50ct according to the
> tech manual.  However, i am not sure which one is fuse
> (IIRC).  Is it the one marked with red circle in photo
> below?
>
> http://www.geocities.com/ipss2001/images/50ct.jpg
>
> Also, I find that my RTC battery is dead and some
> green stuff (copy rust?) attached to the circuit
> beside the battery jack PJ4 (Circled with blue circle
> in photo above).  I think it is the reason why I
> cannot save bios settings.  However, do you think it
> should be the reason why I can't charge up my
> batteries?

Ah. I fear you may have hit upon something. The fuse is indeed the
circled object - rating is five amps. However, the corrosion on the
circuit board is, if not the direct cause, almost certainly
contributory.

First thing then is to clear the corrosion. A stiff toothbrush,
first dry, and then with alchohol, may do the job. I tend to use
either a toothbrush or a fibreglass brush designed for cleaning
PCBs, but that can damage the tracks.

If you're lucky, the tracks beneath the corrosion will be intact. If
not, you may have to link them with fine wire. Ditto the components
close by - the brown thing is a capacitor, and there's a resistor
which is partially covered by your blue line. I'm not convinced
that the socket is still attached to the tracks either.

Also, you should check the other side of the PCB - the corrosion
could have found a way through, or may have started on that side.

Neil