Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 16:37:05 +0800
From: Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] My Libretto 50CT cannot charge up!!!

At 01:14 AM 2/11/2002 -0700, you wrote:
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 16:07:36 +0800 (CST)
From: =?big5?q?tradelink=20tradelink?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

 --- barnacle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ªº¶l¥ó¤º>
> Once you've done that, strip the beastie down to the
> motherboard.
> You're looking for the fuse (IIRC) very close to the
> battery
> connector - as described above - and powered off,
> you should be
> able to test it with a multimeter.
>
> If it is blown, break a glass fuse to extract the
> wire and solder
> over the ends.

Neil,

I have already disassembled my 50ct according to the
tech manual.  However, i am not sure which one is fuse
(IIRC).  Is it the one marked with red circle in photo
below?
I would *carefully* inspect the rest of that motherboard for signs of water damage or similar deposits. If in doubt, take photos of all of the mobo and post it up if you want us to have a look. I dunno about anyone else but to me that doesn't look like straight corrosion, more it looks like someone accidentally spilt liquid of some sort onto the laptop, dropped it in water or otherwise got it wet, but managed to yank the main pack (and external PSU) out before it could cause too much apparent damage (there does seem to be more discoloration around the main battery connector than I recall on my laptop but it could just be the angle the photo was taken at), but they forgot about the backup battery, which sat there partially shorted out (notice that the deposits are around the components that are directly energised by the backup battery). I fear the worst case situation here would be that anything that was energised by that backup battery, including the BIOS and CPU, may well have suffered some form of damage.

This may also explain the issues you're having with charging, if the pack wasn't yanked out *quite* fast enough it may well be that part of the battery circuitry may also be damaged (hence it may well be possible that the fuse you've circled may be open, check it with an ohmmeter first though).

- Raymond

---

| | "Does fuzzy logic tickle?" |
| ___ | "My HDD has no reverse. How do I backup?" |
| / \ a y b o t | [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
| | Need help? Visit #Windows98 on DALNet! |
| ICQ: 31756092 | Libretto IRC channel #Libretto on DALNet! |