Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 07:50:21 -0500
From: "John Musielewicz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Li-ion cells

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cerulean Skies" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Libretto" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2003 10:07 PM
Subject: [LIB] Li-ion cells

> Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 03:02:34 +0000
> From: "Cerulean Skies" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Li-ion cells
>
> >From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >Subject: Re: [LIB] Charging problem
> >Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 20:13:26 -0700
> >
> >This site:
> >
> >http://www.sciplus.com/photoPopUp.cfm?photo=33962.jpg&;
> >name=Camcorder%20Battery
> >
> >shows a JVC camcorder battery containing what appear to be the proper
> >Li-Ion
> >cells for $6.95/pr, so about $21 for a battery case full.  I emailed them
> >for
> >dimensions, and they are very close to the size of the Panasonic cells in
> >my
> >PA2503 packs.  Haven't used them, though.
> >
> >Lee
>
> Hello folks,
>
> I bought the above batteries and found that they are 2mm shorter but 1mm
> wide in diameter, which means they don't fit inside the extended battery
> case, unless you're okay with a bulging case.

Been there done that. Just leave the cover off and they'll fit. Check the
archives to find out more on 18mm thick cells.

> The product number of the cells in the extended battery is CGR17670HC, and
> those from American Science and Surplus are CGR18650.  Using those numbers
> found this:
> http://www.slavin4u.com/lithium.html
> They have the Lib cells for $8.33 per, with $3 shipping, gives $53.
> If the larger cell size of the CGR18650 are okay with you, you could go
for
> the American Science ones for $6.95 + $6.95 shipping = $27.80.
> The slavin4u site also has higher capacity CGR18650's, giving you ~50%
more
> mAH for $8.95 per = $56.70.

I get that using the battery pack on my site. It uses the 1.5Ah cells. About
5 or more hours!! With the larger cells it seems more a matter of the
initial break-in. If you do buy the cells from my site don't expect WinBlows
to read the capacity correctly. As usual the shit operating system has no
clue to what the hardware is doing. I swear to god Microsoft hires complete
morons to program drivers. It is totally impossible to upgrade anything when
it comes to power. I think it because the idots think the world is still
flat. Either that or the air they breath is rotting their brains while they
stare at all the graphics that make a computer operate so well. Maybe if
they smoked tobacco which is supposed to increase a persons intelligence
they might be able to program a simple discharge pattern considering every
spec sheet has one!! Anyone ever been to Seattle, Washington USA the home of
Microsoft? Wierdest place I've ever been. I've never seen more non-smoking
empty headed idiots. Its amazing--nobody seems to smoke. I think they all
hide in their houses and smoke pot. If you ever go there and try to strike
up a conversation with anyone be prepared for a vacous smile and a empty
head. That is one place that definately needs a dirty air act!!!

> Tips for cracking the Lib battery case if you do decide to switch cells
and
> want to keep the case relatively intact:
> Use a thin screwdriver and push it into the seam towards the thinner half
> (the "top" when the battery is installed in the Lib).  Start from the edge
> with the connector, pushing the screwdriver along the seam to crack all
the
> glue.  Do both short edges and open up the case a bit along the 3 cracked
> edges.  You may need to pay extra attention to some of the corners and
break
> the glue there.  To crack the front, I used my fingernail to avoid
scarring
> the plastic.  Go slow, and you should be able to open your battery case
> without it looking like a dog chewed on it.

Just take the pack and cells to Batteries Plus or some similar shop. They
will crack the case and if the tech has handled li-ion before probably
solder in the cells for 10-20 bucks or so.

John
[EMAIL PROTECTED]