Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 20:27:54 +0000
From: "Matt Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to calculate cylinder#s from sector#s?

Haven't been able to access the list until Dan tweaked the list software. I've posed this question to a few people off-list, but have yet to find someone who knows how things get written to HDDs well enough to offer an explanation.

I'd like to know just how to calculate what the number of the cylinder is that borders the start of the space on a HDD that Windows uses to hibernate.

David has estimated that the Windows swap file covers about cylinders 1010 to 1040 for the 64MB RAM on the L1xx Libbys. So I’ve created a 258MB partition from cylinder 1009 to cylinder 1041 that straddles the 8.4GB barrier on a new 40GB HDD for hibernation. I then wrote zeros to it, put the system into hibernation, booted again, and using WinHex, have found the starting and ending >sectors< of the hibernation area on the drive.

I now have other values like # platters, # heads, # logical cylinders, # logical heads, # logical sectors/track, # total sectors, # usable sectors and such. But how can I calculate the numbers for the cylinders that reside at the start and end of the hibernation area?

I know I’m talking about wasting just a few MBs here if I leave things as they are… but I’d really like to learn just how these things work, as well as squeeze a few more MP3s onto the drive.

Many thanks to all who can help iron the logistics of all this.

Matt

Fretting that your Hotmail account may expire because you forgot to sign in enough? Get Hotmail Extra Storage today! http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es