Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 02:51:01 +0000
From: "Matt Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: [LIB] How to calculate cylinder#s from sector#s?

Man this list got busy all of a sudden! Has everyone finished gathering in the nuts in the northern hemisphere, and begun to sing songs with Libretto lit lyrics around the old firesides?

From: David Chien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> WIN2000 on my CT100 and I need to change the partitions on the 10G drive I
> have. I was planning on using Partition Magic, but the only thing I have been
> able to do with partition Magic is specify (in gross amounts) how many MB I
> want for each partition. How do you use the cylinder information to set up
> the drive correctly? What software do you use?

take the total # of cylinders and divide the total HD space by that and you
can figure out how many MB per cylinder. Otherwise, you can look at the Drive
information in Partition Magic for that partition, and on one of the tabs with
extended information, you can see how many cylinders & MB are used by the
partition - you would then have to guess and adjust a few times to get it
right.

I must be blind. I never saw it before. I opened up WinHex today, and the information panal on the right side of the window displayed the number of Cylinders, Heads & Sectors for my HDD. I guess I wasn't noticing that those stats only appear when looking at the entire drive, and not individual partitions. To confuse things a bit more for me, it see in EZ-Drive that there's aslo different methods of defining CHSs that I'm not quite clear on.

I also ran into the same problem with Ghost on my new 40GB HDD with EZ-Drive installed that I had with my 20GB HDD some months back. Ghost never stops creating the image for the 1st partition. It just keeps growing larger and larger until you abort the process. Has anyone else with EZ-Drive installed had the problem?

I removed EZ-Drive, and Ghost works fine now. And with Win98SE seeing all of the partitions, I see no reason to re-install it again. Anyone have any reasons what use it would be at this point?

Matt

Enjoy MSN 8 patented spam control and more with MSN 8 Dial-up Internet Service. Try it FREE for one month! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup