Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 01:56:03 +0000
From: "Matt Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: [LIB] How to calculate cylinder#s from sector#s?

Richard.Sullivan wrote:

Matt, I don't know how to answer your questions, but I am curious how you would use the answer. I am in the process of finishing the installation of WIN2000 on my CT100 and I need to change the partitions on the 10G drive I have. I was planning on using Partition Magic, but the only thing I have been able to do with partition Magic is specify (in gross amounts) how many MB I want for each partition. How do you use the cylinder information to set up the drive correctly? What software do you use?

PM too. After you set up the parameters for a new partition, go to the 'Tools' menu and select 'Properties' (In PM v8.0 at least. Older versions have something like a 'Info' option there instead a 'Properties' option. On the 'Partition Info' tab, you'll see which cylinders contain the start and finish sectors for the partition.

I also have a second question regarding switching in an external monitor. I seem to recall in one of your posts that their was a software way of doing this. With WIN95 and the Toshiba Utilities you could change it quite easily. With WIN2000, I no longer have these utilities. My main objective is twofold: 1. I want to dock the CT100 and have the screen image fill the monitor. 2. I want to use a "beamer" for presentations and get the result to look correct. Any help here would be appreciated.

Someone else will have to weight in on this one. I've read about such problems with W2K in the past. But I'm only now getting around to thinking seriously of replacing WinXP by W2K on my 100CT.

Third question. I bought the CompUSA USB2 to PC card adapter and it worked beautifully in the CT100. However, I cannot use my wireless LAN card, nor my modem, nor my LAN card with it because the card sticks out preventing X-Jacks from being used (LAN & modem), and thickness of wireless LAN prevents it from going in. The only solution I can see is to get "dongles" for each of the cards I want to use with the USB card. This could get to be expensive to replace all these cards. CompUSA also had the tiny USB optical mouse with cord retractor that I was going to buy so I could use it with the wireless LAN. Any body else solve this problem cheaply?

A question for someone else too. Though I'm curious about finding out if a USB2 card in the L1xx models can achieve significantly faster transfer rates than the USB1.1 socket on the EPR. Anyone tested that out yet?

Matt

Enjoy MSN 8 patented spam control and more with MSN 8 Dial-up Internet Service. Try it FREE for one month! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup