Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 12:51:27 +0100
From: Philip Nienhuis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] W98 Power Saver Glitch

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> In a message dated 1/8/2004 9:06:19 PM Mountain Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> > >I am attempting to install the Toshiba utilities and drivers on my L100CT
> > >with a new 40GB drive.  As I recall, the Power Saver 98 driver installed a
> > >new
> > >power profile in W98's Power Management tool in Control Panel, which set
> > >all the
> > >settings to "Never".  I can't seem to get this to happen.  And of course,
> > >Hibernate doesn't work right as a result (the Desktop comes back, but
> > >everything's frozen).  I've installed the Tosh L100 Controls, then the
> > >Power Saver 98
> > >(twice).  The install seems to go fine, but no new profile.  Any advice or
> > >insight?  Thanks.
> >
> > Hmmm... Seems we went down part of this road before Lee.  I notice I never
> > installed Toshiba Utilities for my L100.  The only way I found to get it to
> > hibernate was the same way you did, as I see from these old posts:
> >
> > http://www.technoir.nu/libretto/list/2003/msg01624.html
> >
> > Was the power saver for the L1x0 included with the whole package of Toshiba
> > utilities like it was for the Lx0 series?
> >
> > Anyone else have any feedback on installing these things?
> >
> > Matt
> >

> Yes, we sure have.  What's particularly frustrating is that I'm repeating the
> same procedure which worked the last time, albeit on another HDD, but fails
> this time.  I haven't even got Standby working.  Fortunately I've got a Drive
> Image of the W98 partition BEFORE attempting all the Tosh driver installations,
> so can recover, sort of.
>
> There are actually 3 power savers:  The one included with the "Controls" Tosh
> utilty (of "hairy light bulb" fame, the Power Management tool in W98 Control
> Panel, and the Tosh W98 Power Saver.  What worked last time was installing the
> Controls first, then 98 Power Saver.  Not this time :^(

My experience is that the Toshiba Libretto Power Saver (which is started
from system.ini as "pwrsave.vxd") always resets the BIOS hibernation
setting to "boot".

> Does anyone remember their (successful) procedure for getting the Tosh power
> management software running properly?

Sorry, not anymore. Because pwrsave.vxd screws up the BIOS hibernation
setting, so other operating systems on my Lib (e.g. Linux) wouldn't be
able to get hibernated anymore, I dumped it.

But, (to Lee):
Maybe this helps: you might check if ACPI is working (rather than APM).
Check the Device Manager, System Devices and look for ACPI stuff. AFAIK
this is strictly required for proper operation of Toshiba power saving.
(ACPI is not installed by default in Win98 setup. If you've set up Win98
from Toshiba restore CD's, it should be OK. If you've set it up from OEM
or retail, you should at least specify a "/p j" option (with space
between /p and j) on setup.exe to get ACPI installed.)

Another WAG for your frozen hibernation-recovery: Did you take care to
avoid the hibernation space around cylinders 1016-1026?

Good luck,

Philip