Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 08:25:15 EST
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [LIB] W98 Power Saver Glitch

In a message dated 1/9/2004 4:48:07 AM Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> My experience is that the Toshiba Libretto Power Saver (which is started
> from system.ini as "pwrsave.vxd") always resets the BIOS hibernation
> setting to "boot".

I'vre read that elsewhere, but as I said, somehow on my last go-round with a
W98 install everything worked, at least for awhile.  Hibernation, Standby,
Powersaver profile in Power Management...  Sorry, I guess I'm just whining now.

> > Does anyone remember their (successful) procedure for getting the Tosh
> power
> > management software running properly?
>
> Sorry, not anymore. Because pwrsave.vxd screws up the BIOS hibernation
> setting, so other operating systems on my Lib (e.g. Linux) wouldn't be
> able to get hibernated anymore, I dumped it.
>
> But, (to Lee):
> Maybe this helps: you might check if ACPI is working (rather than APM).
> Check the Device Manager, System Devices and look for ACPI stuff. AFAIK
> this is strictly required for proper operation of Toshiba power saving.
> (ACPI is not installed by default in Win98 setup. If you've set up Win98
> from Toshiba restore CD's, it should be OK. If you've set it up from OEM
> or retail, you should at least specify a "/p j" option (with space
> between /p and j) on setup.exe to get ACPI installed.)
>
> Another WAG for your frozen hibernation-recovery: Did you take care to
> avoid the hibernation space around cylinders 1016-1026?
>
> Good luck,
>
> Philip

Thanks for the /p /j switches, I'll give that a try.  Another approach to
convert APM to ACPI has been to install Toshiba "Common Modules" utility.  I
don't have the file name in front of me, but when run it eliminates the persistent
yellow question mark in Device Manager and adds ACPI.  I've tried that too,
no-go.

BTW, no problem hibernating in DOS.  In fact, a DOS hibernation wiped out a
partition, which I had to repair.  Based on this and past experience, I don't
believe that a specailly prepared area is NECESSARY for proper hibernation, it
is onlyu necessary to prevent damage to things like files and partitions and
FATs.  I think the Librettos will simply write to that 1010-1040 area,
regardless of its condition.

Lee