Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 17:36:55 EST
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [LIB] W98 Power Saver Glitch

In a message dated 1/9/2004 3:14:12 PM Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > In a message dated 1/9/2004 4:48:07 AM Mountain Standard Time,
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> >
> > > My experience is that the Toshiba Libretto Power Saver (which is started
> > > from system.ini as "pwrsave.vxd") always resets the BIOS hibernation
> > > setting to "boot".
> >
> > I'vre read that elsewhere, but as I said, somehow on my last go-round with
> > W98 install everything worked, at least for awhile.  Hibernation, Standby,
> > Powersaver profile in Power Management...  Sorry, I guess I'm just whining
> now.
>
> The catch is that indeed _for W98_ hibernation does work OK (because
> AFAICS Win98 fiddles with the BIOS hibernation setting), but in case of
> multi-booting other OS-es on the same Lib it does not work for them
> (because they do not know about Win98's fiddling with the BIOS).
> So if you just run Win98 on your Lib, don't bother.
> On my Lib, where I run several operating systems, this pwrsave.vxd
> bug/"feature" is a big PITA.
>
> Those OS-es which have hibernation built-in, like Win2000 and Linux
> kernels later than 2.4.21 properly patched with swsusp, don't suffer
> either. But even then, one may hope that in case of overheating and a
> subsequent BIOS event, hibernation outside of the operating system (i.e.
> BIOS hibernation) will work if the relevant BIOS setting is not
> "hibernation". Hopefully the OS will get an ACPI instruction to
> hibernate, but perhaps it doesn't work that way at all. Anybody out
> there who knows the details?

Well this is timely.  I am planning to dual-boot w/W2K, so you're saying that
I shouldn't even attempt to get hibernation working with W98?  That'd sure
save a lot of hassle, false starts and frustration.  Is the best remedy to not
even install the Tosh W98 Power Saver, and set all the W98 Power Management
settings to Never, and disable Enable Hibernation?  And set BIOS to Boot mode?

> [snipped]
>

> > Thanks for the /p /j switches, I'll give that a try.  Another approach to
>
> !! not "/p /j", but "/p j" (no slash before j !!)
>
> > convert APM to ACPI has been to install Toshiba "Common Modules" utility.
> > don't have the file name in front of me, but when run it eliminates the
> persistent
> > yellow question mark in Device Manager and adds ACPI.  I've tried that too,
> > no-go.
>
> Probably your Windows registry has been screwed up too much by now by
> all the different packages => reinstall clean (sorry).

No problem (if it's worth it anymore after discussion above to try setting up
hibernation), I have an image of a clean W98 install that can be restored and
monkeyed with.

> > BTW, no problem hibernating in DOS.  In fact, a DOS hibernation wiped out a
> > partition, which I had to repair.  Based on this and past experience, I
> don't
> > believe that a specailly prepared area is NECESSARY for proper
> hibernation, it
> > is onlyu necessary to prevent damage to things like files and partitions
> and
> > FATs.  I think the Librettos will simply write to that 1010-1040 area,
> > regardless of its condition.
>
> True.
> BTW, I've tried out several > 8 GB hard disks now. Using Win9x FDISK,
> I've assigned all space available to Win9x FDISK, and everytime the
> (hidden to Win9x/DOS FDISK) hibernation area turned out to start at
> cylinder 1017 (checked this with Linux fdisk later on). Add 64 MB RAM, 2
> MB video mem and some BIOS data, round up to the nearest cylinder
> boundary and you'll end up at about cylinder 1026.

I agree.  I tested the L100's previous 20GB Travelstar using .wav files and
came to the same conclusion, except I chickened out and ran it 1013-1033.

> Philip

Thanks, Philip.

Lee