Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 03:31:44 +0000
From: "Matt Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Red stripe on L100 screen

From: Mikkel Breiler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I do believe my CT50 has about 2 screww hidden under small rubber plates, and the
tech simply use a tweezer to get it up, while the Toshba standard way to do so is to
use a needle and 'persuade' it to come up from the hole where the screw is.

Yes... I've removed those covers a couple of times using a Exacto knife with a pointed blade, sliding in underneath little by little, moving along the edge at one end or the other plastic strip. Then when enough surface is exposed to get a grab, I put the side of the blade across the sticky surface underneath, and slowly lift it up.

Problem is, after a removing them couple of times, the adhesive has lost stickiness, and the end tends to start lifing up after a while. Next time I might have to resort to contact cement to keep it down.

But as the screws only are to hold the lid togther and does release the plastic
around the display, to make it just go off one must prye it open with a tool that
doesn't leave as many marks as a metal tools does. A plastic card of the credit card
size will do the job.

I find I can use my fingernails to lift the mask up from the screen from its inside edge, and the latches unsnap that way pretty well.

>Looking at the diagram for the lid & LCD in the manual, I can't figure out
>why pressing on the mask like that would help. I'd think you'd as easily
>cause the plug to disconnect as you would make the connection better. The
>LCD connector seems to plug into the right edge of the screen.

Not on the 50ct I have,

Ah... A 50ct! Now everything is grokkable (sorry for mangling that Mr. Heinlein). I must have miossed that. No further explainations necessary.

I cannot tell exactly where the connector is on non 50/70 models

If you search the archives you might find a link to a couple places where you can download the 50/70CT manual in a Acrobat file.

Perhaps you should open it, as I only have a 50ct which is nearly the same as the
70ct. Maybe Toshiba changed connector type. And if they did and it works it way apart
when the screen gets hot and cold, then you may have to prye the lid apart to get at
it.

Yeah... I've been in there before. I've gotten pretty good at popping the mask off. I'll check it out when I get a moment. Nice thing is it doesn't require disassembly of the bottom end.

Cleary the connector for the display was the Achilles heel of the 50/70 design, but I
guess that is not the same as saying it was fixed in later models.

Funny... I've never had any problem like this with the screens on my 50CT and 70CT. But I'm also surprised to read so many people saying they're having the same problem with one sort of stripe or other on the 1x0CT models. I thought mine was one of few with the problem.

Matt

Enjoy a special introductory offer for dial-up Internet access — limited time only! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup