Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 13:06:03 +0100
From: Philip Nienhuis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] MaxBlast allegedly able to move Lib100 hibernation area?

Matt Hanson wrote:

<snip>

> ----------------------------
> 3) Even if you partitioned a drive as described in 1), DOS scandisk will
> still kill all the partitions after the first 8GB. Without an overlay, DOS
> simply cannot see more than BIOS can, no matter how you partitioned the
> drive.    .... <snip>
> ----------------------------
>
> 1st.  I think you correctly replied saying that scandisk most probably
> didn't delete any partitions.  I don't think scandisk is >capable< of
> modifying partition table data, is it?  I've let scandisk run in DOS many,

You're right, it isn't -- as far as I know, that is. But wait a bit and
then read on on Xin's forum. I'll post again there, I think I know what
may have happened to his D: & E: drives.

> many times after a system lockup on my L100 with the 20GB HDD and 3
> partitions, and it's always scanned C:. D:, and >8GB E: clearing up problems
> without any problems.

Same here.

> But 2ndly... Xin's saying that DOS isn't capable of seeing any more than the
> 8GB HDD that the Lib's BIOS is capable of seeing.  That's what I'd been
> assuming for years now.  But as I reported in my last post to the list here,
> I've removed EZ-DRIVE from my 40GB HBB, booted it from a FD with only
> command.com, drvspace.bin, io.sys and msdos.sys on it, and was able to
> access my >8GB E: partition and copy files from it back to the A: FD!
>
> Thanks to John M. and David C. for pointing to int 13 extensions for reading
> on how an older system can be made to see >8GB HDD space.  But with no drive
> overlay loaded, and booting only from a basic MS-DOS FD, why then am I still
> seeing my >8GB E partition?

I don't know. But the Libretto 100/110 does support int13 extensions,
the only crippled one is the disk size function.
When I boot DOS and run  FDISK it reads the MBR and reports my extended
drive partition size correctly (44 GB, just looked) but cannot see the
FAT32 partitions > 8 GB.
But if I load Bockey's LDS100CT in DOS FDISK can. So I guess that
EZ-drive left something similar behind which overrides the int13
extended disk size report function.
As for Lib 70 (that's where your 40 GB HD was in, isn't it?) I don't
know about the BIOS features. Perhaps EZ-drive really left some hidden
int13 extensions behind.
Would be a neat trick: install EZ-drive, make some fake partitions and
then uninstall EZ-drive to end up with a Libretto seeing all of the HD.
Better check that DOS fdisk can see all partitions too. If it can,
chances are that this trick might work.

> Unless EZ-Drive is leaving something behind when I uninstall it, I can only
> explain this by thinking that one or more of those 4 boot files might
> actually support int 13 extensions as part of MS-DOS v7.x (??), or Win4.1
> (??) DOS OS.

Still I am very curious about MaxBlast II. I had a look at Maxtor and
found MaxBlast III, which (as claimed there) only supports Maxtor
drives. I guess they mean "officially supports".

P.