Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 23:02:06 +0100
From: Philip Nienhuis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] MaxBlast allegedly able to move Lib100 hibernation area?

Matt Hanson wrote:
<snip>
> >From: Philip Nienhuis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >
> >When I boot DOS and run  FDISK it reads the MBR and reports my extended
> >drive partition size correctly (44 GB, just looked) but cannot see the
> >FAT32 partitions > 8 GB.
>
> Huh... I just read that again.  You're saying the 1st FDISK screen reports
> primary and extended partition info correctly.  But then at the bottom of
> the screen there's an option to have the logical drive info displayed.  Are
> you saying that your FAT32 partitions are logical drives above the 8GB
> boundary, and FDISK either can't display any data on them, or displays
> incorrect data?

Yes. To be more precise: FDISK shows the correct extended partition size
*and* the logical FAT32 partitions below 8 GB, but not the ones above
(nor can DOS access the latter). Your question suggests I don't have
FAT32 partitions below 8 GB, but I do.
Yet this may be due to some tweaking I did there. My extended partition
is of type 5, not f as Win9x seems to want (perhaps if it were f some
int13 routines are loaded in FDISK which then may see all logical
partitions). It is 5 because otherwise OS/2 Warp 3 won't recognize the
extended partition at all. Win2K, Linux and -a bit to my surprise- Win98
itself don't seem to care much about the extended partition type. All I
know Win98 needs the FAT32 logical partitions beyond 8GB to be of type c
rather than b.

To answer your question from an earlier post:
> > But if I load Bockey's LDS100CT in DOS FDISK can.
>
> I assume you're saying that you did that just before writing about it.
> Right?  You didn't try that when the drive was new, and un-partitioned, did
> you?

The behaviour described is without LDS100CT loaded.
I just repeated it but now LDS100CT makes no difference - I guess
because it can handle only up-to-32GB HDs, mine is 60 GB.
But I remember it did work OK on my 15 GB hard disk:
FDISK w/o LDS100CT: not able to see logical FAT32 > 8 GB
FDISK with LDS100CT: able.

FYI: I made the complete partitioning scheme on the 60 GB HD without any
overlay. I used OS/2 Warp's FDISK, helped a bit by Linux fdisk or
Diskdrake to change partition types later on (OS/2 can only make FAT16
(type 6) and HPFS (type 7, just like NTFS) partition types; I needed
some partitions to be changed into FAT32 (c) and native linux types (82
and 83) plus a placeholder for thehibernation area (took a0 hex for
that, = IBM hibernation partition). OS/2 and Linux fdisk bypass the
BIOS.
It may look a bit overly complex, but I wanted the entire partition
scheme to be made in one action because I had bad experiences with Win98
not properly recognizing FAT32 partitions > 8 GB when the logical
partitions were made in several different stages. In the end Win98 could
properly see & use the logical FAT32 partitons beyond 8 GB once they had
been formatted by Win2K's disk manager.

> I just checked the partitions on my problem 20GB HDD with FDISK, and it was
> able to report the size of both D: and E: logical drives on an extended
> partition accurately.  And that's both >with< EZ-Drive installed, and with
> it removed.

Can you see what type your extended partition is?

Philip