Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 10:21:24 +0800
From: Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] 50/70 plug dimensions part# needed

>>The type I'm talking about is the open frame type as in
>>http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PS0518&CATID=35&keywords=&SPECIAL=&form=CAT&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=651
>>... you might need to squeeze the 'spring' contact a little with a pair of
>>pliers first and after you use it with a 3.1mm plug it probably won't hold
>>a 2.5mm plug very well but it works a treat!
>
>I'm confused.  The spring there looks like it'd be able to hit the outside
>edge of the 6.3mm o.d. of the standard 50/70 power adapter.  It
>already >has< a 2.5mm male shaft in the center.  What would bending the
>spring do?
>I'm missing something.

Well the distance between the pin and the spring needs to push out to be
equal to the difference between the outer and inner radii of the barrel
connector ... the 6.5mm barrel is slightly thicker so in its default tstate
it might get a little hard to push in, that's all ... having said that, if
you don't bend it (and just push hard), it'll hold the connector in more
tightly ...

>>P.S. As for tapping into L100/110 supplies (and some of the Porteges like
>>the 3110), I find a standard 2-pin header (the sort you put jumper caps on
>>in computers) works nicely if you cut about 1.5mm off the ends (and for
>>plugging into the computer side, a 2 pin header plug filed down on the
>>sides and with a little bit of plastic superglued to provide a polarity key
>>works real nicely.
>
>I'm a bit lost there too.

The L100/110 power connector has 2 pins and the connector is keyed by
having a 'bump' on one of the flat sides ... the bit of plastic is just
there to provide that 'bump' (so it won't plug in the wrong way).

>>P.S.S. All this I'm assuming you're actually looking for the male connector
>>(the computer side) and not the female connector (the power supply side)?
>
>Funny trying to apply the terms 'male and 'female' to sets of matching
>connectors that have both male and female components.  But yes, the
>computer side connector is what I'm after it.  Ive been calling it 'male',
>as from what I see, I stick the plug on the end of the AC power
>adapter >into< it, and not the other way around.  But how can you use this
>reasoning with something androgynous???  :-D
>
>>Especially with concentric or jacketed connectors it can get a little
>>ambiguous but I find a general rule of thumb that you look for the smallest
>>pin or hole in a concentric connector, if it's a pin it's male and if it's
>>a hole it's female.
>
>Ah so... now we're getting into the subject of absolute/dualist logic vs.
>relativistic/quantum logic!  Where's my I Ching?

It gets even worse with connectors that have holes AND pins on both sides
... SGI monitor ports are a classic, on the computer side there are coaxial
male 'pins' as well as the standard female 'pins' ... in the SAME D-style
connector!

- Raymond

P.S. Is it just me or is the list server running slow? I posted my first

---

|                 | "Does fuzzy logic tickle?"                |
|   ___           | "My HDD has no reverse. How do I backup?" |
| /  \ a y b o t  |          [EMAIL PROTECTED]             |
|                 |  Need help? Visit #Windows98 on DALNet!   |
| ICQ: 31756092   | Libretto IRC channel #Libretto on DALNet! |