Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:42:35 -0800 (PST)
From: Matt Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Cryptic Message at Boot - W2K

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Thanks, Matt.  Hopefully the few geek genes I have perhaps passed along
> will enable my daughter to attempt this procedure on her own.

I was thinking that the process I outlined may or my not alter the existing
boot.ini references to the options you're seeing at boot.  There are only a
few files needed for boot.  These as I recall:

Boot.ini
Ntldr
Ntdetect.com
And sometimes Ntbootdd.sys

There may be others.  But if those are missing, the process I outlined
should replace them.  It worked for me at least.

If the 1st time through the process I outlines, you end up with the same
problem, you could try backing up those boot files, and running the repair
process again.  Then you could always replace the files from the Recovery
Console, or a W98 boot floppy.

You could also ask about this over at the Windows XP Pro-Server-2000-NT
Support forum.  All Compuserve forums have been open to everyone on the
Inet for some time at this point.  You just need to create yet another
online account.

> FYI, the 7010CT is a PII-300, so not so new.  I bought it on ebay for
> $160,  threw in my L100's old 20GB Travelstar, installed W98se/W2k and
> voila!

Okay... now I'm curious.  Did you go the way of installing those OSs
without drive overlay?  I'll guess you did, and that you're not seeing the
problems I've been having with W98's Scandisk finding data problems on
partitions that W2K also accesses.  Unless you've set things up so they
can't see each other's partitions or shared data partitions.

Matt