Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 18:34:08 -0800 (PST)
From: Matt Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Cryptic Message at Boot - W2K

--- Philip Nienhuis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > Yes, but not vital AFAICS:
> > > arcldr.exe
> > > arcsetup.exe
> >
> > Hmmm... don't see those listed for the Windows 2000 Pro startup process
> > here:
>
> These seem to be used or at least installed in case of dual booting (W2K
> + W9x).

>From what I can find, those files seem to be more related more to
>repairing< W2K, or a W2K/W98 dual booting system:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/prork/pref_tts_pwtl.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/sampchap/1393e.asp

http://tweakhomepc.virtualave.net/dual/repairdualboot.html

But very useful to know about for sure.

> "Full version" Win2K : same story.
> "IE-Stripped version": total shutdown time less than 20 seconds after
> clicking Start->Shutdown.
> While on the stripped version boot time increases a little, shutdown
> remains fast as ever.

Okay... insteresting.  It's not just my setup then.

> > Does installing the Service Pack 4 result in the same slow shut down?
> > Or is this only happening to me?
>
> Don't know.
> ISTR shutdown/boot times were also quite long w/ SP3.

Ah... so you've not yet gone to SP4 yet Philip?  Wonder what people are
seeing that have installed it.

Matt