Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 05:42:51 +0000
From: "Matthew Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Margi DVD-To-Go problems

You're talking about USB1.1 there, right Jim? Transfer rates for large video files in USB1.1 would be way too slow for me.

I have a dandy little SIIG USB 2.0 Datalink Adapter cable that transfers files pretty quickly between desktop and Libby. And I've found Win2000 can do it at about 3x the speed of Win98.

So I'm thinking of a USB 2.0 external DVD drive. And yeah... it'd have to run on an AC adapter, batteries, or preferably both. I just don't know how transfer rates for a USB 2.0 DVD drive would compare to a PCMCIA DVD drive.

I've found full sized desktop external USB 2.0 DVD-+R-RW drives on Pricewatch.com for as little as about $65. And I >think< with an AC adapter included. That'd be an option. But it'd be nice to have something a bit more portable.

There are a bunch of these Targus Slim External PCMCIA 8x DVD CD going for $39 on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Targus-Slim-External-PCMCIA-8x-DVD-CD-Drive-Germany_W0QQitemZ6859902945QQcategoryZ31565QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But 8x might just defeat the whole idea of fast transfer rates in USB 2.0.

Seems going 16x DVD-+R/RW means pushing the $200 mark and above. I may just get a reader, though it'd be awfully nice to burn DVDs.

Matt

From: Jim Drouillard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

May need to provide external power for a USB-attached
drive with a Cardbus adapter.  I had a slim DVD+/RW
drive in a USB enclosure and it needed external power
to read DVDs (not CDs though) even when attached to an
integrated USB port.  When I was playing with the
Margi card in the L110 I was using an "IBM Portable
Drive Bay" with an "ultraslimbay" DVD drive since I
also have a Thinkpad 600E and 600X which use that
format.  The drive bay uses its own PCMCIA-to-ATA card
and takes power from 3 AA cells if needed.  Drive bay
and drives are pretty cheap on eBay.

>Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 23:17:22 +0000
>From: "Matthew Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: [LIB] Margi DVD-To-Go problems
>
>I've been archiving my VCD files to DVD+-Rs, and at
some point will want to
>ask about recommendations for DVD drives for the
Libby to access them.
>For fastest transfer rate to the Lib's HDD, I'm
wondering if I should go to