Hi there,

nice to see that this topic raises an informed discussion.
Thanks a lot for the enlightenment.

As for your question:

> Is there a specific reason you would need root hubs to always have the
> same address on a single platform, or across multiple platforms?

For bandwidth sensitive applications in particular, knowing which
devices are connected to a given host controller is an important
information.

The root hub is the only way to get there (when sticking to
libusbx, at least).

While information about the host controller itself is not accessible
via libusbx, the root hub can be enumerated and queried for its
VID/PID (which is identical to the HC make and model). Constructing
a device tree (including manufacturer and device names) from the
root is thus trivial when using the information returned by
libusb_get_port_path().

I'd definitely deem it a valuable thing being able to retrieve
this information in the same way on all supported operating
systems BTW.

All the best,
/Markus