On Wed, 18 Jul 2012, Markus wrote:

> Hi Pete,
>
> thanks for you detailed reply.
>
> In the end it boils down to whether there is a chance to match
> devices found by libusbx to a certain host controller.
>
> I can't see a generally reliable way to get my hands on the HC
> information while at the same time, being able to infer which
> devices are connected (by means of libusb_get_bus_number() result).
> Do I overlook something here?
>
> Right now, I can reliably tell which devices share a common bus.
> However, currently it's only Windows that returns the correct
> VID/PID for the root hub.

That's a very strange statement.  Root hubs don't have built-in VIDs or
PIDs, so how can you say that Windows returns the correct values?

Or to put it another way, since no single VID/PID combination is really
correct for a root hub, the values returned by other operating systems
are just as valid as the values returned by Windows.

>  So it looks as if there is no possible
> way to tell which host controller model runs a given bus except
> for Windows.

Not true at all.  It's certainly possible to find out that information
in Linux.

Alan Stern