Thanks for all the help.
This SSL deal is making a lot more sense to me right now.  I have added
the following lines to my perl code:

$ENV{'HTTPS_DEBUG'} = 1;
$ENV{'HTTPS_CERT_FILE'} = '/usr/share/ssl/certs/pub_test.crt';
# $ENV{HTTPS_KEY_FILE}  = # I don't have.  Hopefully is not needed

It still fails.  Line 12 of the output says "bad certificate".  I am
wondering is there is a way to make sure that the UserAgent is actualy
sending out my certificate file pub_test.crt?

Thanks again.

Poly

OUTPUT
=====SSL_connect:before/connect initialization
SSL_connect:SSLv2/v3 write client hello A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 read server hello A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 read server certificate A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 read server certificate request A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 read server done A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 write client certificate A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 write client key exchange A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 write change cipher spec A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 write finished A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 flush data
SSL3 alert read:fatal:bad certificate
SSL_connect:failed in SSLv3 read finished A
SSL_connect:before/connect initialization
SSL_connect:SSLv3 write client hello A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 read server hello A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 read server certificate A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 read server certificate request A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 read server done A
SSL3 alert write:warning:no certificate
SSL_connect:SSLv3 write client certificate A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 write client key exchange A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 write change cipher spec A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 write finished A
SSL_connect:SSLv3 flush data
SSL3 alert read:fatal:bad certificate
SSL_connect:failed in SSLv3 read finished A
SSL_connect:before/connect initialization
SSL_connect:SSLv2 write client hello A
SSL_connect:failed in SSLv2 read server hello A
Failed: 500 SSL negotiation failed: error:1406D0FD:SSL
routines:GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown remote error type
500 (Internal Server Error) SSL negotiation failed: error:1406D0FD:SSL
routines:GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown remote error type
Client-Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 22:23:25 GMT

Street
www.netforall.com/Street