On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, Warren Pollans wrote:

> I've been using WWW::Mechanize to automate testing of cgi scripts -
> works great!
>
> The problem I'm running into is "trying to deal with scripts that use
> javascript" - so far, I've had to ignore them or, at least, those
[...]
> I really like being able to test from my unix box instead of having to
> find a windows box to run quicktest pro or winrunner on.

Try Selenium instead of mechanize.  Not ideal for scraping (you have to
drag in the entire browser, including its GUI, to use it, and the "driven"
mode is currently buggy), but good for functional testing.  Written in
cross-browser JavaScript (in good OO style, too).

http://selenium.thoughtworks.com/

It's quite new, but it's the only free tool in its class (cross-browser
playback of functional tests) that I know of.  With any luck, somebody may
write a decent test recorder for it too (ie. record a test simply by doing
what you'd do if you were manually testing -- ATM there are HTTP-proxying
test recorders that try and do this, but one written in JS is what's
really needed).

John