Glenn,

i'm not sure i've understood your concern. Are you saying that

   - web requests -> lift are easy, but
   - lift -> other services (web or otherwise) are hard?

The latter direction is remarkably easy. Lift rests on top of Scala, Scala
seamlessly interops with Java. So, anything you can do in Java you can do in
Scala and therefore in Lift. Again, i may have misunderstood, but if there's
a class or jar in GWT that you like, you can pretty much just use it (modulo
hassles associated with dragging in its dependencies).

You might want to look at DPP's longtime lift example where he puts together
a comet-based actor framework in which you can handle potentially
long-latency requests to some remote service -- using whatever transport +
message formatting packaging you want (for which there are tons and tons of
Java implementations that you can use out of the box).

If you want some higher-level function or interaction method, maybe you
could restate your concern. i think i'm still not getting it.

Best wishes,

--greg