On Sat, Aug 19, 2023 at 12:02:39AM +0100, Antoine Riard wrote:
> As a backup plan, I think we could consider countries like Morocco or
> Algeria, which given current composition of the organization committee is
> straightforward due to the french-speaking communities, or South Africa,
> which is itself beautiful and where they're doing Bitcoin events [1],
> though this latter is very far far away in term of international travel
> logistic.

I asked a native Algeria friend of mine what she thought about holding a
conference in Algeria:

    No. No. No. no
    No conference in Algeria
    It's not a tourist friendly destination!!

It's an high-violence Islamic country where much of the population has
fundamentalist beliefs, and it does not have a significant tourism industry.
Visiting as a solo female is a sketchy thing to do.

> Note for Ghana, from a quick look it sounds like a visa will be required
> for all Schengen, US and Commonwealth passport holders will need a travel
> visa. ECOWAS passport holders sound to be exempted.

Visa's are really annoying to deal with. They aren't always granted, and tend
to require the applicant to pre-arrange travel (incurring expenses) well in
advance of the conference. I would rule out anywhere with non-trivial visa
requirements for the super-majority of attendees.