Hi Peter,

> It's an high-violence Islamic country where much of the population has
> fundamentalist beliefs, and it does not have a significant tourism
industry.
> Visiting as a solo female is a sketchy thing to do.

Oran and Algier good districts are deemed safe for tourism by US travel
advisory iirc.
I don't know if the rate of high-violence in those areas is worse than
SF/NYC if you lose yourself in the wrong area.

About the first sentence "It's an high-violence Islamic country where much
of the population has fundamentalist beliefs".
Sadly, I could apply the statement to France, I was out in Paris the night
of the Bataclan terrorist attacks and not far enough in my taste from one
of the shooting places.

Usually when you travel abroad follow the general thumb rules, don't go in
dirty places, stay in a group, maintain situational awareness and take
precautionary measures ahead.

> Visa's are really annoying to deal with. They aren't always granted, and
tend
> to require the applicant to pre-arrange travel (incurring expenses) well
in
> advance of the conference.

I'm fully aware visas are really annoying to deal with and this is one of
the main reasons for working on the organization of an event on the africa
continent a year ahead.
If you want to start to lobby e-visas programs around the world to replace
paperwork applications with zkp-based bitcoin fidelity bonds for faster
visa processing times, please do so :)

Best,
Antoine