On 20 mars 2013, at 18:25, "m...@mikesolomon.org" <m...@mikesolomon.org> wrote:

> Sent from my iPhone

>>> Hmm.  It's not clear to me why lilypond can't handle this
>>> automatically:
>>>
>>> g f e d(
>>> \repeat { c d) e f( }
>>> \alternatives {
>>>   { g) a b( a }
>>>   { e) d c( d }
>>>   { d) c d( e }
>>> }
>>> d c) d c
>>
>> The example actually is a bit too orthogonal to illustrate all pertinent
>> points.  Here are some variations:
>>
>> g f e d( \fake)
>> \repeat { \fake( c d) e f ( }
>> [...]
>>
>> Now the first slur will _not_ lead into the repeat unbroken, a valid
>> variation.
>>
>> g f e d( \fake)
>> \repeat { \fake\single\slurDotted( c d) e f
>> [...]
>>
>> This is typical for lyrics where there is a melisma leading into the
>> first repeat but not into all subsequent ones.  If there is no melisma
>> into the first repeat but in some alternative, you'd write instead
>>
>> g f e d
>> \repeat { \fake\single\slurDotted( c d) e f }
>> [...]
>>
>> Now since \unfoldRepeats would remove all \fake slurs, the result would
>> be fine here.  The opposite case, where a repeat leads into only some
>> alternatives, would be
>>
>> \repeat { c d e f\single\slurDotted( \fake) }
>>
>> which works less well.  One possible way around that would be to combine
>> tweaks from start and end slur events, leading to
>>
>> \repeat { c d e f( \fake\single\slurDotted) }
>>
>> which is still not good enough for unfolding unless one starts slur-less
>> alternatives with something like \fake( d\single\omit).  Which would not
>> work for audio so for that case we probably really need an explicit slur
>> killing command.
>>

>> Here is another example:
>>
>> g f e d(
>> \repeat { c d) e f }
>> \alternatives {
>> { g a b( a \fake) }
>> { e d c( d \fake) }
>> { d c d e }
>> }
>> d c d c
>>
>> The suggested automatism would turn this into
>>
>> g f e d(
>> \repeat { c d) e f }
>> \alternatives {
>> { g a b( a }
>> { e d c( d }
>> { d c d e }
>> }
>> d c d c
>>
>> which makes for a lot of visually unpaired opening parens in the source
>> code.  Mind you: this is pretty much what I have asked for myself.  I
>> just have my doubts that an automatism for some cases will not make it
>> harder for other cases and will leave the music source in a less
>> convincing state.
>>
>> I have to admit that leaving _all_ automatism aside does not seem
> [...]

Even better, how about:

\anderston

The Anderston pedestrian bridge is a real life example of what we're talking
about.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M8_Bridge_to_Nowhere#section_3

I'm totally for this - it would be fantastic if people called these things
"Anderston slurs" or "Anderston beams."
Why not be poetic? There are plenty of musical terms that use
metaphors/allusions.

So that's my new vote...

Cheers,
MS