On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 11:02 AM, Kieren MacMillan <
kieren_macmil...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Oh, and some/all of the [Short]InstrumentName settings (e.g., padding)
> should be adjustable after the score is “in progress".
> =)

This is possible to a limited extent.  You can't "drop in" a change when
you want it, simply because the individual instrument names in a score are
part of a *single* spanner.  But you can use \alterBroken at the outset
when this spanner is overridable.  Unfortunately, you cannot do this with
padding.  For some technical reason, 'padding (and 'font-size, I believe)
cannot be set to a callback.

So, for example:

%%

\version "2.19.19"

\paper {

  indent = 2\in

  short-indent = 1\in

}

\score {

  \new Staff \with { instrumentName = "Flute" shortInstrumentName = "Fl." }

  {

    \alterBroken color #(list red blue green darkred) Staff.InstrumentName

    \alterBroken self-alignment-X

    #(list CENTER LEFT RIGHT CENTER) Staff.InstrumentName

    c'1

    \break

    c'1

    \break