On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 04:30:01PM +0200, Thomas Weber wrote:
> There are two things about rehearsal marks in orchestral scores I'd
> like to know about.
>
> Firstly, how can I separate rehearsal marks (and other structural
> stuff like \break or \pageBreak) from the actual musical content?  Can
> I somehow add a virtual staff to carry the rehearsal mark information?
> I think I remember seeing something like that before, but I can't seem
> to find any documentation about it.
>
> Secondly, how can I make rehearsal marks appear both on the very top
> staff and the top staff of the strings?  As far as I can see,
> rehearsal marks will always be put at the very top staff.
[...]

I use the attached file for this purpose, which is based on code that
Kieran MacMillan gave me. Here's an example usage:

        \include "scoremarks.ly"

        % Put your score markings here, rather than in the instrument
        % parts.
        global = {
                \tempo "Allegro" 4 = 120
                s1*16
                \mark "A"
                s1*16
                \tempo "Largo" 4 = 45
                s1*16
                \mark "B"
                s1*32
                ... % etc.
        }

        \score {
                <<
                        % Basically, place ScoreMarks wherever you want
                        % the markings to appear in the score.
                        \new ScoreMarks { \global }
                        \new StaffGroup <<
                                % wind section music goes here

                        \new StaffGroup <<
                                % brass section music goes here

                        \new ScoreMarks { \global }
                        \new StaffGroup <<
                                % string section music goes here

                \layout {}

A linguistics professor was lecturing to his class one day. "In English," he
said, "A double negative forms a positive. In some languages, though, such as
Russian, a double negative is still a negative. However, there is no language
wherein a double positive can form a negative." A voice from the back of the
room piped up, "Yeah, yeah."
\version "2.18.2"

% Make it possible to put tempo markings over multiple StaffGroups
% automatically. Credit: Kieran MacMillan.
\layout {
    \context {
        \type "Engraver_group"
        \name ScoreMarks
        \consists "Staff_collecting_engraver"
        \consists "Axis_group_engraver"
        \override VerticalAxisGroup.staff-affinity = #DOWN
        \consists "Mark_engraver"
        \consists "Time_signature_engraver"
        \override TimeSignature.stencil = #point-stencil
        \consists "Metronome_mark_engraver"

        % Padding above ScoreMarks context
        \override VerticalAxisGroup.nonstaff-unrelatedstaff-spacing.padding = #3

        % Padding below ScoreMarks context
        \override VerticalAxisGroup.nonstaff-relatedstaff-spacing.padding = #0.6
    }
    \context {
        \Score
        \numericTimeSignature