On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 5:53 PM, James Westby
<james.wes...@canonical.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A hardware pack creation script is now available, so we can generate
> them, and the install script is close to being finished too. I have a
> lexbuidler backend that we can use later, but these things have so few
> requirements to build that I can do it with a cron job or something for
> now.

If the separate lexbuilder backend deployment causes any issues we can
also just hook this up to live-helper so we produce the hwpacks in the
headless run.

> Therefore I need to know what harware packs we want to build, and which
> packages we want them to contain, and I will start creating them daily.

I created a hwpack simple file for a really simple support i did
locally for live-helper. This should give you an idea what we want to
be in there for now:

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~linaro-maintainers/linaro/live-helper.config.maverick.alip-hwpacks/annotate/head%3A/binary_hwpacks/linaro-omap3

> For each hardware pack I need:
>
>  * a name (like a package name)
>  * which (debian) architectures to build it for
>  * Optionally:
>    - Origin (short string, e.g. Linaro)
>    - Maintainer (like in a debian/control file)
>    - Support information ("unsupported" or "supported")
>  * A list of archives to take packages from
>  * A list of packages to include.

OK, a first set of hwpack packages below. Supported/unsupported might
need tweakage; and maybe we need an update too. If you create one
branch with all hwpack configs we can later update them as we go:

linaro-omap3
 + Name: Linaro OMAP3
 + Architectures: armel
 + Origin: Linaro
 + Maintainer: Linaro Platform <linaro-dev@lists.linaro.org>
 + Support: supported
 + Archives: Ubuntu main/universe + Linaro overlay
 + with dep Packages: linux-image-linaro-omap
 + without dep: u-boot-linaro-omap3-beagle x-loader-omap
xserver-xorg-video-omap3

linaro-vexpress
 + Name: Linaro VExpress
 + Architectures: armel
 + Origin: Linaro
 + Maintainer: Linaro Platform <linaro-dev@lists.linaro.org>
 + Support: supported
 + Archives: Ubuntu main/universe + Linaro overlay
 + with dep Packages: linux-image-linaro-vexpress
 + without dep: u-boot-linaro-ca9x4-ct-vxp xserver-xorg-video-fbdev

linaro-imx51:
 + Name: Linaro IMX51
 + Architectures: armel
 + Origin: Linaro
 + Maintainer: Linaro Platform <linaro-dev@lists.linaro.org>
 + Support: unsupported
 + Archives: Ubuntu main/universe, linaro overlay, linaro kernel ppa
 + with dep Packages: linux-image-linaro-mx51
 + without dep: u-boot-linaro-mx51evk xserver-xorg-video-fbdev

linaro-bsp-omap4:
 + Name: Linaro BSP OMAP4
 + Architectures: armel
 + Origin: Ubuntu
 + Maintainer: Linaro BSP Team <linaro-dev@lists.linaro.org>
 + Support: unsupported
 + Archives: Ubuntu main/universe
 + with dep Packages: linux-image-omap4
 + without dep: u-boot-linaro-omap4-panda x-loader-omap4
xserver-xorg-video-fbdev

linaro-bsp-ux500:
 + Name: Linaro BSP UX500
 + Architectures: armel
 + Origin: Linaro (BSP)
 + Maintainer: Linaro BSP Team <linaro-dev@lists.linaro.org>
 + Support: unsupported
 + Archives: Ubuntu main/universe, linaro overlay, linaro kernel ppa
 + with dep Packages: linux-image-ux500
 + without dep: u-boot-linaro-ux500 xserver-xorg-video-fbdev

> On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 22:36:51 -0400, James Westby <james.wes...@canonical.com>
> wrote:
>> As for the spec itself, it's rather light on the endgame right now. What
>> does success look like for this project?

Here a few:
 1. if we manage to produce N rootfs with M hardware support in N+M
rather than N*M tarballs/downloads/build-runs
 2. if vendors can ship non-free, click-through hwpacks for highly
proprietary graphics, codec and other support
 3. if we can track/bi-sect hwpack regressions against a stable rootfs
 4. if community releases hwpacks for not-linaro supported boards at some point.
 5. ...

>> What further steps do we need
>> to take once we have scripts to create and install hardware packs, and
>> the ability to generate them in lexbuilder?

 1. setup a config branch(es) for hwpacks that lexbuilder can work on;
enable them
 2. update linaro-image-tools package to contain your latest goodies
 4. add support for installing hwpacks in linaro-media-create
 5. either add linaro-image-tools to headless and head images
 5a. ... or install and remove it during linaro-media-creation
 6. update plars "download image" script to get the appropriate hwpack
together with the head the user wants.

--

 - Alexander