Nicolas Dechesne <nicolas.deche...@linaro.org> writes:

> On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 7:56 PM, Fathi Boudra <fathi.bou...@linaro.org>wrote:
>
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I just wanted to forward this thread from LAKML to linaro-dev:
>> > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ports.tegra/10683
>> >
>> > Seems there is lots desire for an improvement to automated build
>> > coverage and automated reporting along with it.
>>
>> I replied to it. We've got already such daily builds with boot
>> testing: https://ci.linaro.org/jenkins/view/kernel-ci
>>
>> I'm surprised that some people involved in Linaro and this thread
>> didn't mentioned it.
>> Anyway, it's a good opportunity to remind people that we've got a
>> Kernel CI and I'll be happy to get more feedback to improve it.
>>

> Hi Fathi,
>
> I have to admit that what we do in terms of Kernel CI is still a bit fuzzy
> to me, even now that I am an insider. When I was at TI and working closely
> with the TI Landing team, I don't believe we ever reached the point where
> Linaro kernel CI was useful for the 'products' we were jointly doing. Now
> that I am at Linaro, I am going to need LAVA and kernel CI for our project
> shortly. I have no doubt that what is being is worthwhile, but I believe a
> little bit of marketing and/or presentation would be very welcome. It might
> be nice to highlight the bugs that have been found (and fixed?) *thanks to*
> Linaro kernel CI too, for example. also in the link above all of the 7
> 'active' jobs are failing with 3 of them who always failed, and 2 of them
> failing for 2 weeks. so it's not clear what that means. i am sure it
> doesn't mean that none of our kernel ever boots ;-) if we want Kernel CI to
> be useful and kernel devs to rely on it, it should work all the time, so
> that failure are quickly identified and fixed. maybe this is why Linaro
> Kernel CI was not mentioned by Linaro people in that thread.

I'll second Nicolas' comments.

As a kernel developer and upstream maintainer (and now working for
Linaro), it's not at all clear (or documented that I can find) how
kernel CI is being structure and implemented nor how it could be useful
for kernel developers and especially maintainers (who are *very*
interested early notification of build/boot failures for various
defconfigs and even non-ARM arch builds.)

I use my own jenkins setup for some of my stuff, and scripts for the
rest, but it would be ideal to not have to duplicate effort here.

A quick scan of https://ci.linaro.org/jenkins/view/kernel-ci makes me
realize there is nothing terribly helpful there (based on reasons Nico
already pointed out), but it has peaked my curiosity on the Jenkins
changes/plugins being used.

Is there a way for us (linaro folks) to see more of the Jenkins setup
for these jobs (including the scripts.) There appears to be some useful
add-ons being used.  Read-only access to the detailed configuration of
the jenkins jobs would be very useful.

Kevin