Fathi Boudra <fathi.bou...@linaro.org> writes:

[...]

>> Is there a way for us (linaro folks) to see more of the Jenkins setup
>> for these jobs (including the scripts.) There appears to be some useful
>> add-ons being used.  Read-only access to the detailed configuration of
>> the jenkins jobs would be very useful.
>
> You've got access and can even view/modify the set up.
> I used a multi-configuration project for these jobs.
> If you have more questions, just ask.

Now that I have permission on linaro jenkins, I started experimenting
with trying to get something useful for ARM maintainers, and I created a
basic job[1] for building all ARM defconfigs (120+) in linux-next.

This is a simple build-only job.  No downloading toolchains, ubuntu
packaging, lava testing, etc. etc like the other Linaro CI jobs.  Just
kernel builds, and output that should make sense to kernel developers.
IMO, this is the starting point to having some basic sanity testing for
maintainers.

I have several questions (and suggestions) now on how to speed this up
based on configuration of the slaves, as well as several questions
around best practice for using the slaves, how workspaces/tools/scripts
are (or aren't) shared between slaves, etc.

The first suggestion is to speed up the git clones/fetches.  Even a
shallow git clone (--depth=1) is taking > 3 minutes on the slaves.  What
I do on my home jenkins box is to have a local repo (periodically
updated via cron), and then use the advanced options under jenkins git
SCM config to point to it using the "Path of the reference repo to use
during clone" option.  That makes the git clones/fetches very fast since
they're (almost) always from a locl repo.

Another suggestion is to have ccache installed on the slaves.  Since
this job is building much of the same code over and over (120+
defconfigs), ccache would dramatically speed this up, and probably make
it more sensible to run all the builds sequentially on the same slave.

Kevin

P.S. I hope I'm not overloading the slaves too much[2]

P.P.S. Can someone install the Jenkins Warnings Plugin[3].  This can
automatically post-process gcc warnings/errors and plot the history of
them across multiple jobs.  It's a really useful plugin.

[1] https://ci.linaro.org/jenkins/job/khilman-kernel-arm-next/
[2] https://ci.linaro.org/jenkins/label/kernel_cloud/load-statistics
[3] https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Warnings+Plugin