On 18-06-2015 11:26, Nicolas Pitre wrote:

>>> Hi Adhemerval,
>>>
>>> FAOD, are you planning to merge this feature into linaro's 2.25 or 2.24
>>> branch?
>>>
>>> My [very light] preference is to merge it to 2.25, but not 2.24.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>

>> Do we need it to 2.24? Is this patch preventing current kernel builds for
>> older
>> binutils releases?
>
> Current kernels are fine without it.  My work on kernel tinification
> requires it though.  Depending on when this work will be ready for wider
> consumption, it would be nice if our binutils already carried the
> necessary support.
>
> I don't know what the 2.24 vs 2.25 release timeline is, but if 2.25 is
> released, say, before next Connect then it should be good enough.

Binutils 2.24 was officially released 2013/12 and Binutils 2.25 at 2014/12.
Current distros uses versions from 2.23 (RHEL7/CentOS7), 2.24 (Ubuntu 14),
or 2.25 (Debian Jessie) and I think next Linaro toolchain will use 2.25.
I would prefer to focus on 2.25, since 2.24 is reaching two years old, however
since this modification seems to be very constrained, I do not see much work
being required to backport to 2.24.