As Bob Domnitz points out in his email yesterday (see below), the Housing
Choice Act Working Group (HCAWG), together with the Planning Board, is set
to approve a single option for the town's response to the HCA at their
meeting on Tuesday.  That option concentrates all the rezoning for
high-density housing to the Lincoln Station neighborhood.  I believe it will
be a mistake and a disservice to the town to act so soon after their plan
was presented at SOTT last weekend, and to limit the town's choices so
severely at this point in time.

Earlier this year, the HCAWG was considering three options, all of which
would have put some of the HCA-required rezoning at existing multi-family
developments in North Lincoln.  As Bob notes, the HCA allows the town
essentially to get credit for existing multi-family development by allowing
rezoning those areas to higher density, even though it's very unlikely they
will actually get redeveloped in the foreseeable future.  However, a recent
rule change by the state allowed counting the Mall within the HCA
requirements, so it became possible to put all the total rezoned area at
Lincoln Station.

In the SOTT last Saturday, HCAWG presented three new options: one with all
the rezoning at Lincoln Station only, and another two which included some
rezoning at existing multi-family developments in North Lincoln, as before.
However, these two additional options had the SAME EXACT areas to be rezoned
near Lincoln Station as the first option, but included EXTRA rezoning in
North Lincoln, more than would be required by HCA.  Since these latter
options make very little sense, it was no surprise that the majority
sentiment expressed at SOTT was in favor of the first LS-only option.

I urge everyone to consider the effects of putting all the HCA-required
high-density housing only at Lincoln Station.  I don't see any reason why
the town couldn't submit more than one plan to the state for approval,
including another option that that would meet HCA requirements with less
rezoned density near Lincoln Station together with some rezoning in North
Lincoln.  That would give the town time to consider the consequences of each
before any approval at Town Meeting.

I urge you to get involved and make your voice heard by HCAWG and the
Planning Board before this Tuesday's meeting.

Thank you.

Mark Levinson