Daniel,
   Thanks (and well figured out)...

From my own PoV, I really don't need outlines desperately enough to devote that amount of time to it. :-)

An alternative solution I've used for other things in the past is to generate the text image from a webserver using a Java servlet or a PHP script(gd2 library). That might be an appropriate solution for Shockwave. From a non-Director angle, it's certainly a nice way to generate fancy dynamic titles for your website that work on virtually any browser... and a bit of simple caching means the server doesn't get overloaded.

Cheers,
   Ian

Daniel Nelson wrote:

As for a proper vector solution - I don't know of one in Director or Flash and would love to hear about one if it's possible...

We did a project using vectorShapes to generate outlinable, rotatable text, but it is not a trivial task. The difficulty arises because vectorShapes have a maximum number of paths before they break down. To get around this, we generated one letter at a time, took the image of each letter, and copypixelled each image into the resulting image (after first generating the letter-pairing to determine the proper spacing between those two letters). Using this technique, we were able to set the outline of the vectorShape prior to grabbing the image. (If you'd like to see it in action, a locked version of the project is downloadable from download.com. It's called The Logo Creator).

If you're interested in this approach, the call is generateOutlines() on an embedded font member. It takes a string parameter. The result is a vertexList that can be assigned to a vectorShape member.

Regards,

Daniel