> any ideas on how to avoid this?

What type of windows are they? Do you have them set to be dockable at
all? My concerns are that the authoring environment itself may be
tracking the windows within the authoring UI space, this feels
especially possible if you have them set to tool windows that are
dockable. Director already does this with its own windows but if you're
doing this a lot within a single Director session it may be building up
huge lists of windows it thinks it ought to track (not realizing that
you haven't opened 1000 different windows, it's that you've opened the
same 10 windows 100 times sort of thing). I don't know for sure that
this is the case, but it's the one thing that sounds remotely like it
might explain things.

Cheers,
Tom Higgins | Product Manager | Director & the Shockwave Player
Adobe Systems Incorporated

http://weblogs.macromedia.com/thiggins/