> now that's a really great suggestion.
> i understand that you want to understand and solve the
> bug/problem i posed, but this i a great way for me to get
> around the need to restart director each time. and is this
> possibly also more efficient than using a MIAW?

Helping find and isolate bugs is always appreciated, but in the end I
also realize you folks have to deliver to your clients so it's not
always a luxury I can expect. Therefore I often will also try to point
to a way around the bug so as to get you up and running, like this one.
;)  I hesitate to say it's always going to be more efficient than a
MIAW, but it's definitely something to consider for imaging needs like
yours. It is more efficient in terms of not opening other windows or
involving inter-window communication code, but in the end it's just
another way to do something and that enables you to sort out what's best
in any given project.

> DAMN, there you hit the nale on the head!
>
> in the pinch script i have a handler called update,
> that i call from the idle event in the main moviescript:
>
> on update me
>    src = _global.player.image
> end
>
> src here becomes a reference to the image-object of the
> MIAW's stage, and this was the cause of the problem i think.
>
> althoug i do dispose the pinch-object (which holds 'src' as a
> property) on stopMovie, appearantly some reference to the
> MIAW's  stage-image still exists...
>
> now i particularly 'void' src when i call the above
> _global.pinch.destroy() handler.
> that works great.

Good stuff, sounds like you've got things sorted then.

> i can send you sources with old and new situation if needed.

Please do (offlist, don't zip them though as Adobe's mail servers will
reject them, send straight *.dir files if under 3MB or so, otherwise
post and email me a link), I still think our automatic variable cleanup
routines ought to catch things like this so perhaps I should get a bug
logged, before doing that using your movie will help me trim down the
exact bug nicely. Send 'em along if you don't mind.

Cheers,
Tom Higgins | Product Manager | Director & the Shockwave Player
Adobe Systems Incorporated

http://weblogs.macromedia.com/thiggins/