On Wednesday, October 23, 2002, at 01:59 PM, Robert Tweed wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Howdy-Tzi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
There are fundamental realities about the Director architecture, and
the internal cast is one of them. I think what Buzz is indicating is
that it would essentially require a top-down rewrite of the entire
Director engine -- while breaking ALL backward compatibility to all
previous file formats -- to accomplish that.
That would suggest that Director is really badly written.
You think so? I think a codebase that's managed to keep its core file format intact for almost a decade and a half is pretty damned well written. I cannot think of many apps that can say they've done that. (Actually, I can't think of *any*.)

I would only
request something like this on the assumption that it is trivial to
implement. In a half decent architecture it should be a few lines of code at
most.
On what do you base that assessment? You seem to believe that Director is completely modular, that severing connections to a default internal media storage container is as simple as choosing to open a document window. I'm guessing it's nowhere near that simple, and that a movie without a default cast is a little like a stage without a score. Removing it is not only not trivial, but actually impossible.

-- WthmO