On Thu, 24 Oct 2002 13:58:08 +0200, Andreas Gaunitz P11 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >So, in case it is not obvious, the thing is for as many of us as
> >possible to 'wish' for this using the ritual which has become sacred
> >to our brotherhood. (And sisterhood). The incantation for this
> >particular magickal rite is;
> >

>><mailto:wish-director@;macromedia.com?subject=Scriptable%20Authoring%20Environment&body=Please%20make%20the%20Director%20authoring%20environment%20fully%20scriptable>
>
> Ha ha, cool link!
>
> I'm not sure what the exact benefits of a scriptable director would
> be though. Isn't every projector or SW we make just a subset of the
> Director environment, with the chosen functionality included?

Well, crucially, we are missing most of the export functionality.

I'm not arguing for the need for Projectors to have extra functionality. I can see why
Macromedia would not want us to generate dcrs from Projectors - it could cannibalize
Director sales.

> It can
> easily be configured (programmed) to "generate content using imaging
> lingo" etc... Please give some examples of what a Scriptable Director
> can do!

Well, Director is partly scriptable, but almost all the scripting is focused on and
limited to the movie object.

I'm interested in authoring-only lingo commands which would allow us to generate and
reorder castlibs, dcrs, dxrs, QuickTime movies and Projectors. I'd also like to see
lingo callbacks for milestone operations such as app launch, quit, opening, closing,
saving and exporting movies, the ability to script preferences, the visibility and
bounds of the various authoring windows, open the editor of a given castmember,
perhaps even the ability to apply photoshop plugins to bitmaps, plus better and more
explicit support for tool Xtra MIAWs, so that they can be more integrated into the
GUI. (Toolbar buttons for tool Xtra MIAWs, or even toolbar buttons for 'global'
scripts).

We're talking about a handful of hooks to things which are already implemented in
Director's GUI, but are tantalizingly beyond reach of Lingo.

Brennan