> I want to create a lot of text
> fields to display information on the stage and dont want to
> do it by hand. So i thought to create a script to generate
> child objects and display them on the screen. I can easily
> cretae a new field in the cast, but how can i assign that new
> cast member to a sprite using lingo?

Sprite(x).member = "someTextMember"

You used to have to do a puppetSprite, but since Director 7, I believe,
you implicitly puppet a sprite by manipulating it.

Before you do this, though, I would strongly recommend that you create a
range of dummy sprites. I just use a 1-pixel bitmap and place it
offstage. When it comes time to use it, I put it onstage with
sprite(x).locH and locV.

You do want the dummy sprites, though. Don't create sprites from thin
air. That's an unsupported feature, and while it will work most of the
time, there are some hidden gotchas that could bit you.

Cordially,

Kerry Thompson