Although Alfred ends with the same advice I gave, I'm not sure of his reasoning. It's true that QuickTime has all the previous frames kicking around in memory, but that is true of all codecs and all QuickTime versions since 2.0. It would be true with S3 movies whether they are dither copy or composition (dither copy). It is also true that Director has been confused by this in the past, into thinking that you were out of RAM, but I don't know if that's been a problem since the QT3 Xtra came in with Director 6.5.