matthew,

> In this case is the name fully qualified, or relative?
I want to use it as general function for checking the existence of
files, specified by their full path.

> What about using fileName() to compare the filename to the one that
> was
> passed in? Of course, this won't work if fileName() only returns the
> name and not the path... Don't know any way to get the path+filename
> of
> a currently open file with just fileIO...

this sounds like the right solution, but it doesn't work, filename
returns the full path to a file that doesn't exist! This definetely has
to be considered as fileIO xtra bug.

buzz,

> If you can't verify the path-filename of what was opened then you
> could try this workaround:
>
> Open up the false file first (the one next to the DIR).
>
> This will either fail (not there) or will set your desired routine up
> for failure (because the false file has already been opened).

I'm afraid that's what I have to do, but it makes my simple
file-checking routine much uglier and more complicate.

thanks to all for your help,
valentin