Hi Kerry!

At 05:44 PM 5/18/04 -0400, you wrote:
>Slava, you said you have had success with these fonts. I'm guessing that
>you are able to get Czech fonts to display on Latin-2 (code page 1250)
>systems, and Russian on CP 1251 systems. I've had some success with
>embedding Czech and Russian fonts on English Windows. You can get the
>display to work sometimes, but xplat is pretty dicey, and of course,
>input without a Russian keyboard is hopeless.
>
>Cordially,
>
>Kerry Thompson

I use code page 1251 on Windows and Apple Cyrillic character set on the Mac, and I
only combine English and Russian. A number of fonts based on these two character sets
work without any problems. It work every time. I embed the fonts and use them
extensively in my movies. I don't ever rely on system-installed fonts. I've never
dealt with Czech.

Input in Russian is built into Windows and OS X, and works fine, but I don't even use
that--I translate keystrokes. This allows me to offer a choice of several Russian kbd
layouts. Some people are used to kbd layouts that are different from those built into
Mac OS and Windows.

I found that I always have to build two sets of all text members: one for Windows and
another one for the Mac. Never mind Director's fontmap.txt: it's a great idea that
simply doesn't work for embedded fonts and non-ANSI character sets.

I use the V12 DBE database Xtra for storing and retrieving large amounts of vocabulary
data. There are a couple of obvious tricks you have to use, but it works perfectly.
I'm also test-running the new db Xtra from Tabuleiro that looks good and has SQL
support (I use their MPEG Advance Xtra and have great rspect for the quality of their
work).

Thanks from all of us for being a great help on this list, Kerry!

Slava