> I author on either win2k or xp with japanese locale
> installed.

By golly, you're right. That would work! Good show, Anand.

You can download Microsoft's Japanese, Chinese, and Korean IME's here:
http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/preview.aspx?AssetID=HA0103473610
33&CTT=6&Origin=EC010553071033

I still prefer to have the actual Japanese/Chinese/Korean system to test
on, but that should work for development.

> To view the
> CD/DVD the target system also needs to be configured with the
> japanese locale...

And therein lies the rub. I do a lot of educational development, and a
lot of schools won't install the Japanese IME. For one thing, it's a 50
MB download. Plus, a lot of schools and companies tightly control what
can be installed on their systems.

In my experience, people who need or want Japanese either have a
Japanese system, or one of the add-ins (e.g. Twin Bridge) installed.

Cordially,

Kerry Thompson