I use duplicate all the time, but I do it by dragging with the option/alt key ...

& I've been bitten by the cmd-S/D issue more times than I'd like to remember - it's a real annoyance.

My personal solution was to use QuickKeys to override cmd-D ...

Maybe MACR/Director should make the shortcut for Duplicate a more awkward key combo

hth
-Buzz