>Once, I also had this problem running my project under
>WinNT.  The culprit *macromix*.  I suggest that you use
>QT3Mix instead. WinNT doesn't support DirectSound
>(I maybe incorrect here.)

You are largely correct. Most versions of NT don't support DirectSound 5 or higher,
which is needed by Director. I've heard rumors that some service packs were sufficient
to enable DirectSound as Director's sound mixer under NT, but I've never confirmed
that. Windows 2K was supposed to support DirectSound for real, but I've never tested
it.

I can attest that sound conflicts are usually caused by something that seems
unfathomable but makes perfect sense once you understand how sound devices are
arbitrated by Director.

More than you thought you ever wanted to know about sound mixing in Windows can be
found in Chapter 15 of Director in a Nutshell, free online at
http://www.zeusprod.com/nutshell/downloads

That chapter explains what is REALLY going on when Director tries to figure out how to
play sounds. It explains all the conflicts, setups, sound devices, etc.

Although people often want a one-line answer, by understanding what Director is doing
and why, you'll be able to solve a broad range of sound-related problems yourself.

I heartily recommend that everyone who has not already done so invest an hour reading
that chapter. It will save you many hours of frustration down the road.

I spent many, many hours putting that chapter together, including long talks with Buzz
Kettles, one of Macromedia's primary sound gurus. It covers a lot of things that the
Macromedia technotes didn't cover adequately at the time (and I'd be surprised if they
have changed markedly)

Again, these chapters are free on-line in PDF format, so you've got nothing to lose.

cheers,
Bruce

Bruce Epstein
Zeus Productions