The fact that the second sound is playing at all means that you are using
separate sound channels, but you seem to be specifying sound channel 7 for
the original bgMusic. Isn't that for Digital Video only(correct me if I'm
wrong, guys)?

Try this...

If these sound files are BOTH background music files, run them both from
sound channel 1, i.e.

on exitFrame
  puppetSound 1, "bgmusic"
end

When you want to run the second one, check to see if the channel is still
busy and stop it if it is...

on exitFrame
  if soundbusy(1) then sound(1).stop()

  puppetSound 1, "VO1"
end

If VO1 is a sound effect, then puppetSound it on sound channel 2 (score
channel) or channel 3.

It could also be worth setting up a queue for the sounds - look up queue()
command

LePhuronn