>I need to make a grid of squares 50 x 50 and all need to be referenceable as
>when each one is clicked on it needs to change colour. It needs to be in
>some kind of array as i need to check the state of the squares surrounding
>each square that is selected. Is there a way to produce this grid without
>having to draw out 2500 squares?
>Any ideas?

There are so many ways to do this, but if you literally mean that
it's a 50 x 50 area of solid colors that need to change, an easy and
fun way would be to use setpixel on a 50x50 pixel bitmap. You then
place the bitmap onto the stage and scale it up somewhat.

Here, I went ahead and made a movie:

http://staging.funnygarbage.com/colin/colorgrid.dir

The one and only sprite is 400 x 400, with source bitmap of 50 x 50.
The script on the sprite is this:

on mouseUp
   s = the currentspritenum
   m = the member of sprite s
   x = (the loch of the clickloc - the left of sprite s)/8
   y = (the locv of the clickloc - the top of sprite s)/8
   setpixel member(m),x,y,random(256)-1
end

The movie is a D7 one.