Tyler,

you can actually use lists for almost >10000000 things.
If i understood your question, you need to create a tile based map,
and make your boat moving within.
Of course lists are grat for this.
I'm working in these days to a similar project, and i'm developing a
map engine that may be similar to the one you need.
It's based on Objects rather than on the score/sprites approach.
I try to explain you what steps to consider in creating such a thing.

1 - a map consists in coordinates that you can store as points into a list.
2 - besides, you have a number of horizontal rows, and a number of
vertical rows.
3 - "tiles" originates by such an environment have a width and a height.
4 - could happen that some tiles are not empty, so they contain
obstacles, enemies, bonus points, other boats, and whatever you want.
5 - when your boat has to move, it has to "look" for a direction in the map.

These are the basic aspects to consider i think: well they're the
ones i considered at the first time, others came after a while :-)

HopeThisHelps.

Doei
Faisal