I know. I've withnessed the following !free! updates myself:
4.04
5.01
6.01
6.02
(D6 projector patch)
7.02

What greatly annoys me, is that D7.02 did not fix even half of the known
problems, and included support for new media types, making it an features
pack, not an upgrade. The bug-ridden D8 did not get an upgrade, and having
heard the tremendous amount of work macr-engineering put into the 3D side of
D8.5 I can hardly believe You could even want to buy an upgrade for the
fixes.

And no! Do NOT get me wrong. I'm not complainig that Macromedia is overly
greedy. Macromedia , like Microsoft or Exxon is a publicly listed company,
which means that it's sole purpose is to make money! The fact of the matter
is that, to achieve that purpose, they have to have something to sell,
preferably something someone wants to buy.

But let me point out to you, the only reason macr has not released a FREE
D8.01 patch is that they want people who are most molested by D8.00's bugs
to go out and buy that upgrade. Why can I say this? Well, if the list of
fixes made into D8.5 are true, and I expect they are, that means that the
most workintensive part (fixing bugs) of creating the free
upgrade/patch(8.01) has been done. My logic says Text and Font bugs do not
need support from a totally new 3D object engine, meaning the bugfixes could
be shipped by themselves...

Pekka